Cultural Tradition is a feature first introduced in Heir to the Throne. Players can spend cultural tradition to hire advisors. The quality of the advisor is dependent on the level of cultural tradition present at the time. Some advisors also require you to spend Naval or Army Tradition. To get the highest rank of such advisors you need a high amount of all the required types of tradition.
How to increase cultural tradition
There are 3 ways to increase your cultural tradition. It is also worth to note that cultural tradition decreases in times of war.
Cultural decisions are a way to improve your Cultural tradition with either an instant, one-time increase or a sustained yearly increase. There are five decisions which are common for all nations and several nation- or religion-specific cultural decisions. These usually require the expenditure of Magistrates and a combination of either money or Prestige.
National cultural decisions
If the potential is there you can see the decision. If your allowed and you can pay the cost you can choose it. All information is from "event_modifiers.txt" and "CulturalDecisions.txt". The decisions are ordered according to their duration with the exception of "Support South German organ tradition". Where the greater or lesser to sign is used it should in some cases be greater or equal to and lesser or equal to respectively.
|Name||Potential||Allowed||Cost||Effect||Duration||AI will do|
|Build a new palace||-||peace||1 Magistrate, 50% of a years income||90% chance for +10% Cultural Tradition, 10% chance for +20% Cultural Tradition||none||if treasury>2 years income|
|Commission Painting||-||Prestige>20%||1 Magistrate||+5% Cultural Tradition||none||if Magistrates>2|
|Endorse culture||-||Prestige>50%||1 Magistrate, 5% Prestige||+10% Cultural Tradition||none||if Magistrates>2 and Prestige>80%|
|Arrange festival||-||-||1 Magistrate||+5% Cultural Tradition, 45% chance for -5% Prestige, 45% chance for +5% Prestige, 10% chance for -1 Infamy||none||if Magistrates>2|
|Commedia dell'Arte Performances||Year 1550-1700, Western Technology, Christian||-||1 Magistrate, 10% of a Years income||Yearly: +1% Cultural Tradition, -2 global revolt risk||4 Years||If Cultural Tradition<0.2|
|Introduce Heir||Monarchy, Heir 15-18 Years old||-||1 Diplomat, 10% of a Years income,||+5% Prestige, Yearly: +2% Cultural Tradition, +1% Presitige, +1% Legitimacy||4 Years||Always|
|Commission epic||Monarchy, Prestige>10%||-||1 Magistrate, 10% of a Years income||Yearly: +1% Cultural Tradition||10 Years||if Cultural Tradition<20%|
|Support The Florentine School||before 1500, Western Technology, Prestige>25%||-||3 Magistrates, 1 diplomat, 40% of a Years income||Yearly: +2% Cultural Tradition, +2% Prestige, -0.01 Infamy||10 Years||if Cultural Tradition<40%|
|The Last Jousting Tournament||Western Technology, Monarchy, Land Technology<11||Army Tradition>15%, Cultural Tradition>5%||3 Magistrates, 20% of a Years income||Yearly: +4% Army Tradition, +2% Cultural Tradition, +0.1 Land Morale||10 Years||More likely during War|
|Endorse Renaissance Philosophy||Year 1450-1600, Western Technology, 6 cities,||Philosopher or University, Rulers Administrative Rating>6||3 Magistrates, 30% of a Years income||Yearly: +5% Cultural Tradition, -1% Technology cost, -1% Papal Influence, +1 Prestige||10 Years||if Treasury>80% of a Years income|
|Support Baroque Music||Year 1600-1750, Western Technology||Fine Arts Academy||1 Magistrate, 10% of a Years income||Yearly: +5% Cultural Tradition, -10% Global Tax, -3 Global revolt risk||10 Years||if Treasury>100|
|Liberté, égalité, fraternité||Year 1650-1800, Innovative<-2||Innovative<-4, Rulers Administrative Rating>6, Prestige>40%||1 Magistrate, 1 Years income,||Yearly: +5% Cultural Tradition, -20% Technology cost, -1 Missionary, -3% Papal Influence, +8 Global Revolt Risk||20 Years||if Treasury<2 Years of income|
|Commission Tapestry||Before 1450||-||1 Magistrate, 10% of a Years income||Yearly: +2% Cultural Tradition, -1 Global Revolt Risk, +1% Legitimacy||20 Years||if Treasury>40% of a Years income (?)|
|Byzantine Refugees||After 1500, Western or Eastern Technology, Christian, Byzantine Empire no longer exists, Thrace has Turkish culture and is Sunni||Prestige>30%, Rulers Administrative Rating>7||3 Magistrates, 5 Diplomats||Yearly: +2% Cultural Tradition, -5% Technology cost||30 Years||Always|
|Golden Age of Dutch Painting||Western Technology, HolLand (province) has Centre of Trade and is Reformed, Patron of the Arts||-||1 Magistrate, 60% of a Years income||Yearly: +2% Cultural Tradition, +4 Trade Tech Investment, +2% Trade Income, -4% Global Tax||50 Years||Always|
|Charter a Guild of St Luke||catholic, Fine Arts Academy||Patron of the Art||1 Magistrate, 20% of a Years income||Yearly: +5% Cultural Tradition, -10% Global Tax, +0.2 Magistrates||100 Years||if Treasury>a Years income|
|Gilded Iconography||Orthodox or Catholic, Temple, Church Attendance Duty||-||1 Magistrate, 50% of a Years income||Yearly: +3% Cultural Tradition, +2.5% missionary chance, +1% Prestige, -8% Global Tax||Until end of game||if Treasury>80% of a Years income|
|Diwani Script||Sunni||Artist||3 Magistrates||+3% Cultural Tradition, +1 Legitimacy, +0.5% Missionary chance, +1% Technology cost||Until end of game||Always|
|The Way of Tea||shinto||Cultural Tradition>15%, 1 province with tea and 1 with chinaware, Theologian||3 Magistrates||Yearly: +1% Cultural Tradition, -2% Global Tax, -4% Stability cost||Until end of game||Always|
|The South German Organ Tradition||Year 1630-1720, Western Technology, Germanic culture, Temple||-||3 Magistrates, 50% of a Years income||Yearly: -1 Global Revolt Risk, +1 Cultural Tradition||30 Years||Always|
Provincial cultural decisions
|Name||Potential||Allowed||Cost||Effect||Duration||AI will do|
|Arrange Organ Concert||temple, Have enacted "Support South German organ tradition", same religion as owner||-||1 Magistrate, 10 currency||Yearly: +1% Cultural Tradition, -5 Local revolt risk, +5% Local Tax||5 Years||Always|
The primary two events that add to cultural tradition are event 9464 and 9465 which require you to have built a university (1800 month MTTH) or a fine arts academy respectively(600 month MTTH). Each individual structure can trigger the effect separately.
There are also other factors that can add cultural tradition over time. Here is a list of some of them:
- Each Merchant you have place in a CoT adds +0.1%/yr (HTTT 4.0 only)
- The Patron of the Arts National idea gives +3%/yr
- Each Fine Arts Academy adds +1.0%/yr
- In peace times you get a fixed +0.5%/yr
- During war you get a fixed -2.0%/yr