This article is accurate for the latest versions of EU3, Napoleon’s Ambition, In Nomine, Heir to the Throne and Divine Wind.
Merchants are the agents you need to initiate trade. Each country can have up to five merchants "in stock", but can not keep any more in reserve. Merchants are the leftmost of the five "heads" at the top of the screen. Merchants have to be sent to Centres of Trade to earn money. The base cost of Merchants is set in the defines.txt file and is 5 .
Merchants per year
The number of merchants you get each year depends on several factors:
- Base: 2/year
- Domestic policy sliders:
- Up to +1/year for Plutocracy
- Up to +1/year (+2/year ) for Free Trade
- +0.5/year for each COT you own
- +1/year if you have at least one a monopoly in a Center of trade
- Up to +3/year for positive stability
- -1/year for being at war
In addition to the above, the merchant rate may be affected by events and decisions, including:
- Establish a House of Trade
- Mining act
- Trade focus
- Found Indian Trade Company
- Found Oost-Indische Compagnie
Some events and decisions also grant a one-time increase or decrease of merchants.