Military tradition is a game concept used to show how experienced a nation has become in warfare. Tradition is tracked separately for army and navy and its primary role is in determining the quality of the leaders you can recruit. A nation's tradition can be rated between 0% and 100%.
The primary way to build tradition is through warfare. Generally speaking, the tradition gain depends on the scale of involvement in a conflict. A vast empire with huge armies will barely earn anything from beating up on the little guy. A minor who fight tough battles with all units will gain tradition comparatively faster. The list of ways to earn tradition is:
- Fighting battles
- Exploring Terra Incognita
- The Battlefield Commissions national idea gives a 1%/year bonus to army tradition
- The War College Unique Buildings gives a 1%/year bonus to army tradition
- The Seahawks national idea gives a 1%/year bonus to naval tradition
- The Admiralty Unique Buildings gives a 1%/year bonus to naval tradition
- An appropriate advisor (Sergeant Major General/Rear Admiral) will give 0.2%/year per level in either army or naval tradition
- Looting provinces (?)
Tradition depletes over time; with 3% of the current value per year while at peace, 2% while at war.
All tradition gains mentioned are percentage points, while tradition losses are a percentage of your current total tradition. This means that for example, if you have the NI Battlefield Commissions and are at peace, you will gain 1% tradition each year while losing 3% of your current total. This function of events will stabilize at 33% tradition. For a 2% yearly increase, the function approaches 66% and for 3% increase the function will eventually reach 100%.