|At the start of the Grand Campaign – 14 October 1399|
|Government type||Despotic Monarchy|
|Number of provinces||5|
|Capital province||Muscat (400)|
|Center of Trade||None|
|Primary culture||Bedouin Arabic|
Oman is one of the tribal states in Arabian peninsula, besides Yemen, Najd, Haasa and Hedjaz. It's located in Southeast of the Arabian peninsula and its state religion is Shiite which is the rarest religion in beginning of the game.
- Your neighbour, Najd, has 4 province near you which have the same religion as you. That means you can capture them without as much revolt risk.
- Plenty of weak African nations are near you and across the sea. They can be easily conquered, especially Ethiopia. However, these provinces are poor and may not be worth it after expansion into Iran becomes viable.
- Oman has all the makings of a major trade powerhouse, with great sliders and a nice geographical position.
- Your neighbour, Yemen, waits for the moment to take your lands, so it's hard to form very good relations with them.
- Only one nation in the Arabian peninsula is Shiite and it has only one province, so you don't have many friends there.
First, you should form an alliance with Haasa and declare war on Najd before they make alliances. Haasa will come to your aid, even though they only have one province, they will slow down Najd's army when it stops to siege Al Hasa (Haasa's capital). at this point you should form an alliance with Hedjaz and if they accept it call them to arms. When Hedjaz accepts, they will attack Najd's capital Najd.
When Najd finally occupies Al Hasa they probably will annex it, Hedjaz has occupied Najd and the province above it, and you 1-2 Eastern Shiite provinces, Hedjaz will send half of their army to Hedjaz and half to yours. You can easily crush the half of Yemen's army and Hedjaz other half. Since Najd's economy isn't very good, Yemen will probably declare war on them soon. When you have occupied the provinces you want demand them. Watch your infamy, every province you take, you gain 4 points of infamy.
Early mid game
From here, your best bet will to focus on trade. Your starting slider position will put you in good stead and will probably allow Oman to dominate most Indian and near east CoT's for most of the game. From here, your focus should be on slow expansion throughout the Arabian peninsula and to maximize technology gains in preparation for European colonialism. A master of the mint or the National Bank idea will ensure you can turn all that trade into cold hard ducats. By focusing on trade, Oman can become one of the wealthiest and most technologically advanced nations outside of the HRE by mid game. Just be sure not to get into a premature war with the Timurid Empire or Mamluks, which can and will spell disaster for Oman.
By the time Oman dominates Arabia, the Timurid Empire should have well and truly disintegrated, allowing Oman to take some of those wealthier Persian provinces, especially the CoT in Hormuz. The final step is Westernization and Military Modernization, which may be helped by taking the Church Attendance Duty idea. Now that that's done, Oman should be among the wealthiest, most technologically advanced nations in the world, and being situating in the middle of Eurasia, is both free and able to expand rapidly in all directions. I focused on Iran and India at first but managed to make it to China and the Balkans by games end.
See the Yemen strategy guide as by now the same strategy applies.