|At the start of the Grand Campaign – 14 October 1399|
|Government type||Noble Republic|
|Number of provinces||1|
|Center of Trade||None|
|Other accepted cultures||None|
Ragusa is a small and relatively poor Balkan state, which has many enemies close by, and if one does not watch carefully, could easily become annexed. That is why Ragusa has to make use of its unique government for the area, Merchant Republic, which reduces merchant costs by 25%, an invaluable help to a poor country. If done correctly, Ragusa can top the charts in income and in research, which will then give Ragusa enough boost to conquer nearby neighbours.
Heir to the Throne
In the Heir to the Throne expansion, Ragusa has been changed from a Merchant Republic to a Noble Republic. The Ottomans are slightly less dangerous than before because of an independent Epirus and a stronger Venetian influence in Greece. Accordingly, Venice will now generally be more of a threat to Ragusa than before.
- Do not hire any type of advisor. Any advisor will cost more than it can give, even including a Master of Mint.
- Move the slider towards free trade. It raises merchant costs but the foreign compete chance is needed.
- Lower Maintenance on both navy and army.
- Adjust your minting slider so that there is no Inflation, as this can destroy small countries.
- Seek an alliance with Hungary or the Papal States; you need their comforting strength to ward off potential conquerors.
- Trade only where the income and the compete chance outweigh the cost.
Securing Safety And Your First National Idea
- Now that you are relatively safe both politically and economically, you may want to expand.
- If you don't have your first national idea yet, choose Shrewd Commerence as it secures your booming trading industry even more.
- Now look to your neighbours and see if there are any you can take on. Montenegro is an ideal target, as they tend not to have an alliance by this time and are as weak (if not weaker) than Ragusa.
- You probably have 1000-2000 men, so make sure whoever you take on is an OPM
- Attack this nation and destroy its army, making sure it does not besiege your only province, as they could defeat you in capturing the capital.
- After destroying the army, you should be free to sit and wait. Keep tabs on your trading industry, as that is the only thing keeping you up.
- Once you are done besieging, annex them. You need the territory more than anything.
- Personal safety is a priority at all times! Don't ever take something on that you know you can't take.
- Don't stop trading. It is very rewarding to the persistant.
- Unite the Balkans or provinces with similar religion and culture: your army can't handle revolts.
- Stay at the top of the income and trade ledger.
- Move slider towards Free trade.
- Pick trading national ideas.
- Watch Austria, Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire with caution.
- Keep profits, safety, and armies high.
- Westernize. It is too costly, and you had high income and techs, but now you will want to have it!
- Don't colonize, as it is not worth it for a country with so much to do at home.