An accepted culture is a culture that is different from your state culture (the latter is indicated in the first tab of the Domestic Management Screen, to the left of your monarch's name), but that is still similar or known enough so that the penalties associated with foreign cultures are lessened. Provinces of an unaccepted culture get increased revolt risk and a 30% tax and manpower penalty. Every culture is part of a larger cultural group, and all the other cultures in this cultural group have a smaller penalty than other unaccepted culture provinces (only 10%). However, if cored provinces of a certain unaccepted come to represent a significant part of your empire, you may get a notification that this new culture is now accepted.
For instance, let's look at France. France's state culture is Cosmopolitaine. Cosmopolitaine is part of the larger French cultural group. This cultural group includes the following cultures: Cosmopolitan, Gascon, Normand, Aquitaine, Burgundian, Occitain, Wallonian; because France is the union of the French culture group, these cultures are all automatically accepted.
Now let's say that France goes on an expansion spree, and conquers many new provinces in the area of the Netherlands, with Dutch culture. After 50 years the Dutch provinces become cores, and this may mean that Dutch culture will become an "accepted culture" if they gain relative importance in your realm. You will be notified via event when this happens. The Dutch culture is part of the Germanic culture group, which includes Pomeranian, Prussian, Hanoverian, Hessian, Saxon, Rheinlander, Bavarian, Austrian, Dutch, and Flemish cultures. However, only the Dutch culture will be accepted, and not all the others within the German cultural group.
Gain and loss of accepted cultures
Accepted cultures can be both gained and lost, depending of the portion of core province income that the culture contributes. For IN the thresholds are:
- Any culture that contributes over 12% of total tax income of your core provinces will become accepted
- Any culture that contributes less than 5% of total tax income of your core provinces will no longer be accepted
For NA, the thresholds are:
- Any culture that contributes over 12% of total tax income of core provinces, owned or not, will become accepted
- Any culture that contributes less than 5% of total tax income of core provinces, owned or not, will no longer be accepted
In EU3 vanilla,
- Any culture that contributes over 20% of total tax income of core provinces will become accepted
- Any culture that contributes less than 10% of total tax income of core provinces will no longer be accepted
Relevant forum discussions: